Places/Institutions available within 100KMs for study tours
22 km from Champawat and 9 km from Lohaghat, this ashram is situated at an altitude of 1940 meters. Mayawati shot into prominence after the Advait Ashram was established here. The ashram attracts spiritualists from India and abroad. Amid and old tea Estate, is the Advait Ashram of Mayawati. During his third visit to Almora in 1898, Swami Vivekanand decided to shift the publication office of 'Prabuddh Bharat' from Madras to Mayawati, from where it is published since then. The only presence that has become a part of the peace and solitude of Mayawati, is that of the mighty Himalaya in all its splendor. On request the Ashram provides board and lodging to visitors. There is also a library and a small museum at Mayawati.
From Dhunaghat(on the Lohaghat -Devidhura road)one can visit Reetha Saheb or Meetha Reetha, located at a distance of 72 kms. from Champawat. Guru Nanak is said to have visited this place and have had spiritual discussions with Gorakhpanthi Jogis. The Gurudwara was constructed in 1960 at the confluence of Lodhiya and Ratiya rivers, near village Deyuri. There are trees of sweet Reetha (Sapindus emarginatus) in the Gurudwara premises, adjoining it is the temple of Dhernath. Before the motor Road was build to Bhingrara, people use to come to this place on foot. A fair is held at the Gurudwara on Baisakhi Poornima.
At distance of 45 kms from Lohaghat, Devidhura is famous for its Barahi temples. A very unusual fair, which attracts people from Kumoan, Nepal, and even other places, is held every year at the temple of Barahi Devi on Raksha Bandhan day. During this festival, known as Bagwal, two groups of dancing and singing people throw stones at each other, while they try to protect themselves with the help of large wooden shields. The famous hunter, Jim Corbett's tale 'Temple Tiger' is associated with the Devidhura temples. Devidhura is situated amidst tall deodar and oak trees surrounded by beautiful native flora and fauna. This is a wonderful place for treking and being one with the mountains.
At a height of 3000 mts. above sea level, Purnagiri is 20 kms. from Tanakpur, 171 kms. from Pithoragarh and 92 kms. from Champawat. Purnagiri temple is visited throughout the year by devotees from all parts of the country, who come here in large numbers, particularly during Chaitra Navratri in the month of March - April. The surrounding valleys echo with the holy chantings of the devotees climbing up to the top for darshan, creating an atmosphere of spirituality. From Purnagiri, also known as Punyagiri, the river Kali descends into the plains and is known as Sharda. For visiting this shrine one can go upto Thuligaarh by vehicle. From this place one has to trek (the road is under construction upto Tunyas ). After the ascent of Bans ki Charhai comes Awalakhan (the new name is Hanuman Chatti).The south - western part of 'Punya Parvat' can be seen from this place. Another ascent ends at the TRC of Tanki. The region of temporary shops and residential huts start from this place upto Tunyas. From the highest point (the temple) of Purnagiri hill the pilgrim can see the expanse of Kali, its islands, the township of Tanakpur and a few Nepali villages. The old Buram Deo Mandi is very close to Purnagiri. From Tanakpur or Purnagiri it is possible to trek to Tamli and even to Jhulaghat along the Kali river.
This is a fort at an elevation of 1859 mts., 7 kms. from Lohaghat and 20 kms. from Champawat (Lohaghat to Karnakarayat is 6 kms. by bus and Karnakarayat to Vanasur ka kila 1 km. by foot ) along the Bhowali road, is the fort of Vanasur which can be seen of all sides. The names of Shonitpur and Lohawati are linked with the myth about the assassination of Vanasur at this place. One has to walk about 2 kms. to get to the fort. The fort seems to be a construction belonging to the middle ages, but the story of Vanasur was probably associated with the spot even before the construction of the fort. Lohawati river originates near this place.
Amidst the lofty mountains of Uttarakhand (India) is a village in stillness, distinctively confronting the Himalayas. Inside the village is a divine secret. Inside the secret is the phenomenal work of Nature. And inside this work is the truth of Hindu mythology.
The earliest reference to the cave of Patal Bhuvaneshwar was made in the Manaskhand Chapter of Skandpurana, elaborately describing the story of Raja Ritupurna, the ancient King of Ayodhya belonging to the Treta Yuga. His encounters with living gods and goddesses inside the cave are part of the rich mythology of Indian traditions.
However, the presence of this mythology can still be felt inside the cave. Strangely, the natural rocks have taken the shape of the characters of the great Hindu pantheon, as if the gods had left their remnants behind after reposing in the cave. The hood of Sheshnag...the torso of Lord Ganesha with Sastradal Kamal hanging over it...Goddess Bhuvaneshwari standing guard with her weaponry...the cursed Hans (the swan of Lord Brahma) with his head turned...the heavenly tree, the Kalpavriksha...the udders of Kamadhenu...the Jatas (hair locks) of Lord Shiva...the Saptahrishimandal (the Seven Rishis)...the thousand legs of Airavat, the elephant of Lord Indra…
They are all there in shape of natural rocks. Staggering and substantial. Tranquil and thoughtful... Deep and detached...All pointing to the sacred intelligence of Nature.